Document text
Machine-read from the scan, so expect some errors. Lines that couldn’t be read are left out.
Page 1
UNCLAS/N ONW D/IN A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION WEDNESDAY WITH BOB LAW, TRUST TERRITORy LIAISON OFFICE HONOLULU I LEARNED THAT THERE ARE RUMORS HERE APPROXIMATE QUOTE THAT THE AEC MAY BE HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT ENEWETAK ATOLL AND MAY NOT LET THE PEOPLE RETURN AFTER ALL UNQUOTE. LAW SAID HE HAD HEARD THIS PROSPECT SUGGESTED P%IRETHAN ONCE BUT DID NOT IDENTIFY SOURCES. HE VENTURED OPINION THAT THE RUMOR WAS CAUSED BY RECENT MICRONESIA PRESS ATTENTION TO TAMPLIN AND OTHERS (WHO QUESTION BIKINI SAFETy AND ARE KEEPING ALIVE PALOMARES, RONGELAP, ~C, - THESE WORDS MINE). I TOLD LAW, FIRST, THAT THE AEC IS IN NO POSITION TO LET - OR NOT LET - PEOPLE RETURN TO ENEWETAK. THAT DECISION IS AT LEAST STRONGLY IMPLIED AND PROBABLy FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES FIRM NATIONAL POLICY AS A RESULT OF THE APRIL 72 ANNOUNCEMENT AND SUBSEQUENT EVENTS. SECOND, I ADVISED HIM THAT I THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD BE ENTIRELY APPROPRIATE FOR HIM IF THE OPPORTUNITYAGAIN AROSE TO RESPOND STATING THAT HE IS AWARE THAT THE COMMISSION STAFF IS RIGHT NOW DILIGENTLY WORKING AT THE DIRECTION OF THE COMMISSION TO DEVELOP RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ACTIONS TO FACILITATE THE EARLY AND SAFE RESETTLEMENT OF THIS FURTHER REINFORCES OTfCONVICTION THAT WE MJST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TELL PEOPLE CANDIDLY WHAT HAS BEEN DONE SO FAR, WHAT THE NEXT STEPS WILL BE AND HOW WE ExPECT TO PROVIDE FOR THIER PARTICIPATION IN DECISION MAKING. I AGAIN URGE THE PROMPT RELEASE OF THE SURVEY REPORT AS EVIDENCE OF BOTH PROGRESS AND GOOD FAITH. HIGH COMMISSIONER JOHNSTON IS DUE IN HONOLULU O/A MAR 18 ENROUTE TO WASHINGTON O/A f#R 23 FOR PERHAPS 2 - 3 WEEKS. IF WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRIEF HIM HERE I URGE THAT HliBE GIVEN THE BENEFIT OF ALL AVAILABLE FACTS AND RATIONALE IN